Cheated by ex-hubby, victim says never trust anyone 100%

 https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2023/05/01/cheated-by-ex-hubby-victim-says-never-trust-anyone-100




Cheated by ex-hubby, victim says never trust anyone 100%


PETALING JAYA: Aina’s world as she knew it crashed on the day she was barred at the airport from travelling out of the country for work.

Until then, Aina (not her real name), who works as a writer, had always trusted her then husband to run their household debts and expenses.

ALSO READ: Many guarantors are falling into debt when loans are not repaid

Working in a demanding job with a consistent salary, Aina had supported his ideas each time he was interested in a business venture and over the course of their short marriage, had allowed her husband to use her name to set up companies, open a bank account or act as guarantor.

“I didn’t mind him using my name. What could go wrong?

“I could not be more wrong because eventually, he would accumulate debts under my name, max out the credit card and set up businesses without my knowledge.

“My whole life came crashing down when I was barred by the Immigration Department at the airport,” she said.

University of Nottingham Malaysia: The number one UK university in Malaysia

They had told her she had been declared bankrupt.

“Can you imagine how I felt that day? It was like my whole life was a lie because I trusted my ex-husband and believed in him.

“I called up the banks and found out I owed RM200,000, which I could not afford,” she said.

While Aina is trying to reclaim her good name, the betrayal by the one person who was supposed to support and protect her was unimaginable and unforgettable.

“Never trust anyone 100%. Take everything with a pinch of salt because you will be surprised how those closest to you will betray you.”

MCA Public Services and Complaints Department head Datuk Seri Michael Chong, who has dealt with many cases involving guarantors, especially those related to car loans, said they often ended up becoming liable for the payments.

“The cases I have dealt with are usually between girlfriends and boyfriends who broke up later. Once the relationship comes to an end, the guarantors are faced with settling the payments.

“In other cases, some friends choose to become guarantors in exchange for some commission in the business venture because they don’t want to lend the money.

“So, they become guarantors but things don’t always go smoothly,” he said.

Chong said those seeking his help are often frustrated as they are worried about settling the loan.

“They usually ask if they can bargain with the bank on the outstanding amount or pay a fair share but this is usually up to the banks to decide.

“For me, financial institutions need to be more vigilant in checking the background instead of asking any random person to sign the documents,” he said.

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Guarantor , Money , Loan


Comments